View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Things having to do with personal issues and such 
Champion

Post Things having to do with personal issues and such
Well, I didn't wanna place it into the topic title as it might have gotten deleted before anyone had given me any imput. But about a couple months back I actually admitted to myself that I was Bisexual. And all of my pso friends know this. I'm currently in a gay relatinship and I am slowely but surely telling my friends (I'm in high school so its a BIG step). But the thing is, I don't know if I should tell my parents. And how? Should i tell my parents? And If I should should i do them both at the same time or what? I need a little help with this. Im stressed out about it and need a little support. I know all of you don't really know me, but in a PSO server, we are all like family (I hope you guys count me as a family member) and family members help eachother out. So I need a little help and support. Im also a little embarrased with telling you guys this, and asking this of you guys, but I need imput from more than just myself and another friend of mine. I need to know how a public that has been through high school feels about it. (even though most of you guys are straight)

Characters:
var00
Cross
Shen
Dovakhiin

Team Dovakhiin-
http://www.youtube.com/user/ultimatezeldaplayer

Subscribe

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:46 am
King

Post Re: Things having to do with personal issues and such
var00 wrote:
And If I should should i do them both at the same time or what?

*bites clenched fist* Yea i'm an asshole sometimes but you gotta watch your wording mate when theres scottish folk around, especially considering the nature of the thread >.<

I'd wait till you can stand on your two feet (steady income, can easily seek alternative accommodation) then tell them, cos you don't know how they would react, they might disown you or something, i don't have a problem with that kinda shit but some people might.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:00 am
Champion

It's nothing you should hide or ever have to hide. With that being said, unfortunately you may have to hide it depending on your surroundings.

How does your family stand in terms of politics and religion? Are they big conservatives/christians? If you think they might be accepting, drop a couple of subtle hints if you can. I might have to send some e-mails to jog my memory, but there are good resources out there with great facts on homosexuality and bisexuality that could help you feel more comfortable about speaking on the subject.

And if you're able to tell your friends and feel comfortable, that's great. High school is a LOT more hostile than college. I had a friend in high school who revealed himself and was met with a less than pleasurable reception. He stayed strong and kept a positive attitude. He wound up in a different college, and when I asked him how he was doing, he told me how much better life became for him. For one, his college had something called PRIDE (I can't remember what it stood for if it did stand for anything), but it was essentially just a group of people that were supportive of all LGBT. And he even was able to pretty openly talk about his sexual orientation to new friends that he met outside of that, too. Seems people become more tolerant and... well, at least a little more mature when college comes around. So from this, I want you to know that things get better and easier the later you get in life in terms of homosexuality/bisexuality.

I'd be able to give a bit more advice if I knew a little more about your parents and their views, so right now I can only say you know better than I would.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:44 pm
Champion

they told me once that they didn't care at all on what sexuality I liked.

Characters:
var00
Cross
Shen
Dovakhiin

Team Dovakhiin-

Subscribe

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:27 pm
Champion

I'd say if that's the case, then you would be pretty free to do whatever you want. I would suggest telling them just so they can have more knowledge of you and have more of an ability to support you, but by no means would I say that you HAVE to tell them.

It probably won't ever feel like the right time to tell them, I'd guess, you'll have to just step up and tell them if you want them to know. Again, if you'd like, when I get home I have a couple people I could ask and a book I could consult to get some more information/advice.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:11 pm
Champion

I highly appreciate your concern and willing-ness to help me out, and thanks twitchy. But no books will be necessary. I'll have to tell everyone eventually. Better to tell them now than in 5 years when i come home with a guy in my arms ^^;

Characters:
var00
Cross
Shen
Dovakhiin

Team Dovakhiin-

Subscribe

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:15 pm
Champion

All right, and I agree. If my child was homosexual or bisexual I'd at least like to know. There are some pretty common myths about homosexuality and some general discomforts that I would want to get rid of. Perhaps your parents have some good things to say, too. :P

Don't be afraid to make use of any resources available to you, there might even be some at your high school. You can even ask your teachers, most likely. I had a ton of teachers in high school that made a big point of tolerance in the classroom, and we had something like a gay-straight-alliance club at our school that was pretty much just there to promote the fact that sexuality doesn't matter, we can still work with each other. They didn't do much but watch movies and hang out and chat, but they also did some occasional charity work to put out a good name for themselves, much more than 90% of the other clubs could probably say. :P

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:14 pm
Champion

yeah i mean, we dont do that, but as far as I can tell, that my school has NO problem with gay/bisexuals. My parents shouldn't either. But if they do they can bite me ^^;

Characters:
var00
Cross
Shen
Dovakhiin

Team Dovakhiin-

Subscribe

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:26 pm
Champion

Var, I think you are way off, keep your feelings to yourself cause nobody cares and really, I don't want to know. If I was your dad I think I would be sickened but that just me.

Last edited by Vent on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:05 am
Champion

Hrm. Having once been in this same situation myself...

I say go ahead and tell them IF you think they'd be cool with it. Try not to sound defensive or anything about it (not saying you would, just, that tends to be a huge problem for this kind of thing), just let them know calmly and succinctly and let the chips fall where they may. But again, only IF you think they'd be cool with it.

(Also be glad you don't have any siblings that could spill the beans first. My middle sister (I'm the youngest) told my parents while I was still trying to work up the nerve to do it myself. They were awesome about it and I figured they would be - I'm just the shyest thing ever sometimes - so I wasn't so much concerned about them knowing, but...really? Really? How did she think that was her news to tell? And now that I think of it, how the bloody hell did she find out?)

Good luck on whatever you choose to do, mate. :) And don't let idiocy get in the way of your happiness.

Resident healbitch PRUney with a reckless streak and a pink sword. Feel free to ask me for help, I don't bite. Unless you ask.

Sera - Skyly - HUnewearl - Level 170
Alicia - Purplenum - FOnewearl - Level 57
Riot - Pinkal - RAcaseal - Level 39
Lily - Redria - HUnewearl - Level 47

Trade list, with even more sexy fisticuffs!

Sera: I think I make it a point to get Megid'd at least once a run XD

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next