View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
DotA 2 thread, lolol 
PROSPECTORS!

Post DotA 2 thread, lolol
So I started off as a HoN player. I probably still would rather play it, but I got kinda pissed at S2 for removing forum signatures and I don't feel like putting up with the raging community, so I downloaded LoL for a little while.

I'm finding LoL to be... okay, but not really nearly as refined as I'd like such a competitive style of game to be.

I look over at Valve, and DotA 2 looks pretty juicy.

They've got some REALLY nice features lined up:
Reconnection, which is thankfully now a standard for the style of game
The spectator UI is pretty decent, and it'll be possible to spectate random games (with some sort of measures being taken to avoid ghosting, obviously).
The announcer is SPECIFIC while still being concise. (IE: "Radiant top tower under attack!" "Dire structures fortified!")
Captains mode moves the right way: 1 ban, 1 ban, 1 ban, 1 ban, 1 pick, 2 picks, 2 picks, 1 pick, 1 ban, 1 ban, 1 ban, 1 ban, 1 pick, 1 pick, 1 pick, 1 pick. This actually allows a team to react to the first three hero picks.
From the sounds of it, there will be a system where a friend can step in for you if you have to leave during a game.
Bots seem to be in the works, something that HoN lacked and probably always will.
Since Valve's a huge company, they can afford to market this game a lot better than S2 did for HoN, allowing them to hopefully stick to a "pay once to play" instead of putting out a bunch of BS to get money.

I can't wait to play some Venomancer. :)

Anyone else pretty excited for DotA 2?
I'm pretty optimistic for it and will pounce on it the moment it comes out... And I'm going to participate in the beta for sure if I get picked. Whether or not I go back to HoN after all this is up to Valve. :P

Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:16 am
extended rech

Post Re: DotA 2 thread, lolol
I'll certainly play but I'm a little concerned about how the servers will handle the traffic on release.
I mean a large portion of HoN/LoL players are going to flood over to it, old DotA/WC3 are going to likely head straight over, and with all the hype, probably a huge amount of MOBA virgins too. XD

I just hope they get support types right. =x

o says (15:58):
*I've been tempted to ban a few people in the past simply because I found them annoying.
"Reason for ban: Because I can't punch you in the face."

Give a girl the right shoes and she will conquer the world.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:04 pm
PROSPECTORS!

The metagame's based off of trilanes still, so it looks like they've got their manure in line. :)

It's Valve, they've got a ton of money to throw at their servers. And from the sounds of it, they'll be having some weird system that gets other servers to help take the load off of ones that are getting overloaded.

I've got high faith in them to push this in the right direction!

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:26 pm
Champion

Still waiting to know if I'm in the beta here :/

Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:21 pm
Champion

Re up! Just got a beta key and the game is pretty awesome, hard to get used to but it just takes a bit of time to get used to.

love the characters :3

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:25 pm
Senior

I wasn't impressed by it at all. I tried 2 games on it, and the carry didn't damage, the second game I did, the character I chose was a bit better(Lina) but the camera was clunky. it'd scroll in random directions with my mouse in the middle of the screen, and a few times wouldn't scroll when I told it to. The lack of a camera lock is saddening (Unless you count the double tap/holding of F1 the entire time, but why should I have to do that? There should be an option/hotkey to auto lock it.) Damage ratios between characters that I've seen so far is just so random, I'll give it a few more go's at this point, but my initial opinion of it was very small.

Also, where in the world did they decide it was a -good- idea to make a single character able to teleport, silence and burst damage you all at the same time?

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:35 am
PROSPECTORS!

Hey, don't diss because you had some rough games with teammates. Play some with bots. :P

Also, if you're coming in from LoL, you'll have a lot more to adapt to than HoN because HoN was built as a bit more of a DotA clone whereas LoL took a different spin on things.

Camera lock isn't good for you - you get massive tunnel vision and you'll miss a lot of important information. For example, if you know a structure is under attack, you really have two good choices: stay where you are and let the tower drop, or teleport to defend it (which by the way, if you don't carry town portal scrolls at all times, you're doing yourself a massive disservice).

There are good scenarios for either. If there are five heroes pushing down the tower, it would be unwise to teleport in alone or if your teammates are dying and you wouldn't be able to put out enough damage to make the teleport worth it. But if there's only one or two and you know you can hold them off, by all means, you should teleport over there and kick some ass.

If you really like camera lock that much though, keep in mind that it's a beta and you could probably mention it on the feedback forums.

My only complaint with DotA 2 is that it uses the source engine which means I have to turn off one of my CPUs to get it to run without freezing. This lowers my framerate to around 45 fps, but that's certainly playable. And it's way better than freezing every 3 minutes.

Do you know which hero did that to you? For all I know, it could have been any overfarmed hero with a blink dagger, orchid, and a bunch of high damage nukes like Zeus or Lina which would have provided them with a teleport, silence, and burst damage respectively. :P

I like the bots in this game for practice mode games - they always choose the same lanes, but if you move in to their lanes, they'll switch around until they get into a good 2-1-2 configuration. So if I want to play a super easy carry like Juggernaut, I can just buy my items, run bottom (as radiant, top for dire), and I've usually been left with a ranged hero that does a decent job of helping me.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:00 pm
Senior

It was a little blue thing. shot out a ball of light, I dunno it's name. but yeah, it's beta, that's why I'm willing to give it more chances

Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:51 pm
PROSPECTORS!

That was Puck, then! (Not sure about gender, so I'm going to be a jerk and assume male for now.)

Puck's a pretty big force of nature, I can see why you were frustrated. His first skill shoots a beam of light that he can teleport to, his second one is a small nuke/silence, his third skill makes him invulnerable for a short period of time (but he can't do anything during this time either), and his ultimate is a ministun that stuns for longer if you leave the range of its initial cast.

He's pretty strong if he gets a good farm early, but his usefulness goes down late game. His biggest downfall is that if he's not overleveled and overfarmed, he can't do anything without his team. His other downfall is that he's pretty tough to play well. It's very easy to screw up the order of his skills or not use his disjoint at the right time, and since he's very squishy without the proper use of his invulnerability, he'll drop fast.

I'd definitely like to play with you and Gab some time and we can have some fun. :D

Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:37 pm
Champion

Yea... I was that puck...sorry ilitsa :(

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next