View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Freezes and Crashes 
Senior

Post Freezes and Crashes
Hey

Didn't have many until yesterday, but then I had plenty psobb.exe stopped responding crashes (3 or 4 within an hour) and game freezes (2 within 30min today and I think one yesterday - where the game takes a while to realize that it crashed). I know this game isnt perfect and happens sometimes, but that much more often than before still feels strange. Only thing I changed was apply one small afp from Japanman's skin list (the Kyo Huney costume..). I'm not even playing the Huney nor teaming with a Huney, so I think its unrelated.

All I want to know is, if there is something I can do to make the crashes less likely. (other settings, better computer, etc)

Thanks in advance, ask away if you need to know something.

Kyo

Edit: Another freeze 5min after posting, playing Forest Offensive with my brother, being a Racasael using Freeze Traps and Spread Needle, he a Fonewearl. Mothmants (many monsters being frozen/paralysed?) play a role? I don't know, my comp isn't bad. Never lags!

2nd Edit: My game consistently freezes as a Racasael using Spread Needle in Forest Offensive with my Foney-bro. Didnt try other classes today, yet, but it never did with others before. (like my Huney with Dark Flow spamming)

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:21 am
豆腐配達

Post Re: Freezes and Crashes
First thing to try is download the client and unpack it into a new location. Then see if you get the problems with a fresh copy of the game.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm
Senior

I restarted my comp and it worked fine again. Japanman mentioned that dead monsters still use up memory and if it goes full, PSO crashes (sometiems). My guess is, that my 10 tabs? (which isnt even much) + Skype + Steam + a huge monster swarm probably just overloaded my memory a little.

I still do consider it strange, because my comp* did handle more than that in PSO (and modern games) before without crashing (or lagging), but oh well. After all, I experience zero lag, so to think that it could be bound to memory/ram feels off, yet its really just the most logical answer. (FYI: I had a 2hour youtube video open (completed but tab not closed) and a 60min music video open as well, which was at around 80%. Maybe those were still reserving some memory, not sure.)

I can't explain the psobb.exe stopped respondings from yesterday (probably bad luck), but the consistent freezes are gone (for now), so back to slaughtering monsters again happily.

Mind explaining/clearing up the memory/ram thing and their connection to PSO-crashes? I'm in the process of buying a new comp, still deciding on parts, but I got a fairly high budget. Would be interesting if there is something specific I could prioritize a little to help PSO's stability, such as, if its related, more ram than I am planning to use atm.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:17 pm
豆腐配達

To be honest due to the age of PSOBB it isn't likely to run any better on anything better than half decent. It doesn't utilize multiple cpu cores as a result can run better on older systems compared to new.

PSO can also play up if a skin hasn't been done correctly or uses too much memory. PSO statically assigns memory for skins and if the skins are higher detail it can cause an overflow of this allocation. you may only come across problems when some thing else writes to this location. So it is possible that the high ram usage you had will present the problem but a fresh boot doesn't. So the issue could still lie with the skins.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:57 pm
Senior

Only skins I have installed are the PSO2 Interface by Echelon and Japanamans Huney skin. I used the PSO2 Interface basically since day1, first time I had "many" crashes in a row was yesterday tho.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]