View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PSO v2 res and aspect ratio 
King

Post PSO v2 res and aspect ratio
This has crossed my mind many times but i never figured a way to do it, recently someone asked me on my blog if there was a patch for widescreen on PSO v2 pc.
The game will fit the monitor, but the chars will look fat due to the distortion.
The game seems to have a 4:3 aspect ratio and it runs at 640x480, wich is quite low compared to what recent games are capable of.

My question is there a tool, a program i haven't tried that can raise the res (i do mean the res, not the window size) or do i need to change the res in the actual executable? if so how would i aproach this?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:03 am
Profile WWW
豆腐配達

Post Re: PSO v2 res and aspect ratio
It'll most likely require EXE edits. As Lee done with the Widescreen PSOBB client. It's possible that the same is possible in PSO v2. To edit the exe it'll help if you understand basic ASM opcodes. I suspect there will be a MOV into a register of 640 and 480. If its like the PSOBB client it isn't just a matter of doing that though. You may have a stretched HUD which requires adjusting too.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:38 am
King

Well, keeping the aspect ratio would be best for now, but the increased res would be great.
I can try and check that MOV, see if i find anything.

Thing is, there are a truckload of exe for pso v2, window mode, fullscreen, mouse support,..... so a patcher and an unpatcher would be the ideal.
For now i'll stick to editing the exe if i can, i understand assembly so let's see if i can find that MOV you're talking about.
question, if i manage to find said mov, what program would i use to save the changes? Maybe i can use hex editing, assuming i don't screw up.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:03 am
Profile WWW
豆腐配達

Yeah a hex editor is all you need (just make backups of your EXE's). I personally use Hex Editor Neo Ultimate.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:52 am
King

After finding a way of knowing where in the exe there was the MOV i wanted to change i proceded into doing some changes.

1st try nothing happens, probably a wrong guess.

2nd try, hmm 2 MOV together huh? let's try it.
The result came like this

I'm unsure what is wrong here, the window is bigger but the game stays at a corner, however the game does recognize this new res and shows only a partial screen, if you look in the screenshot you see nol is a bit to the right side as if the screen is indeed bigger.
Ingame i'm also unable to see the char's feet, it's in the black area wich doesn't show anything.

I'm feeling i did the 1st step but i'm unsure on what to do now
I have tried this before, but only now i'm actually seeing some changes.

Istead of beeing in the lobby, decided to make a game to check other hud elements, the game used the black area.....but

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
豆腐配達

Looks like you're making good progress. Are there no more MOV's of 640/480? you may find it's pushing 640/480 or there maybe a CMP opcode which needs updating.

If you haven't already done so. Its worth checking for float values too.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:07 pm
King

I changed other 2 groups and none did any change, problem is, after these all is left are the push/cmp/add/mov but none appear near the other res so it's like i'm shooting in blind from now on.

The 2nd try worked because both values appeared in 2 lines, one for each res, but now values of 280 and 1E0 are scatered across the exe, so it might take a while.
Thanks for the help tofuman

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
豆腐配達

You may want to give IDA pro a go also to debug it. I use a mixture of hex editor, CE and IDA pro to edit the client. I'd expect to find it near Direct3D stuff. Also using CE it'll allow you to edit the client in memory instead of committing it to the EXE. speeds up trial and error stuffs.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 pm
King

Yes i got IDA pro, seems like a very good piece of software, but since i don't know how to work with it very well, i'll stick into using a hex editor.
But yes IDA hex editor and code editor combo is nice.

Also, did you guys break forum tags?

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:31 am
Profile WWW
豆腐配達

Some forum tags are broken. Should be fixed over the weekend.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next