View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Code Name: BassWings 
Champion

Post Code Name: BassWings
I had mentioned something about a developers blog style video for a project that a classmate and I are working on (in the chat box), BassWings is it. It's just started so bare with us. We will be posting and uploading stuff as the weeks progress. As of now we have been working on it for 3 or so weeks and I believe we have made good progress. There will be an actual game play video posted soon, so if you're interested keep up with it.

Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated.

GC#s
Main accounts:
-Emma Mae
-Molly V1.1
-Emily Rose
-Inara

-Cain
-Abel
-Archomito
-Starr

-Mustang
-Lt. Havoc
-LtHawkeye
-Anthrax

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:01 am
Profile YIM
Nobody did what? T.T

Post Re: Code Name: BassWings
Because it's a 'pitch,' I'm going to be honest, and maybe somewhat overcritical.

The speaker in the pitch video is /very/ hard to hear without significantly boosting the volume. The verbal tones are similar in dynamics to the bgm.

Also, you don't make your points of what you want to do in a clearly visible fashion. I can't read that document you are highlighting on the screen - and combined with how quiet the person speaking is, I can't fully understand what you're trying to accomplish.

You have no concept art (sketches, animations, etc), and are sharing an incredibly limited amount of information. If you're pitching an idea, you really should have more than just genre, and also outline features that you intend to include that make the game interesting and different from the other games. It's hard to offer any suggestions or feedback when I really don't know what you're doing...

"I like this idea and that idea, wouldn't it be cool to merge them together?" To me, it seems that you're still planning what you want to do and figuring out what major elements you need to have. You only list one feature, and at that, I can't really tell what it will do.

- Will it analyze music and automatically generate levels from music on the fly, allowing users to use any piece of music they may have on their computer? (harder to pull off, but more robust, smaller program size because you don't need hardcoded tracks, and a lot of possibilities for fun stuff when coding. I'd totally love to code something like that >.>)

- OR will it be track-specific and have hardcoded levels based on individual pieces of music? If so, are you making sure that the music you use is not copyrighted?

TL;DR:

Interesting idea, but you're not sharing detailed information on features or game mechanics. Yes, it's your idea, but sharing that information is useful for anyone trying to understand what you're creating, offer suggestions, feedback, and ideas relevant to what you are doing, and support the project.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:10 pm
Champion

Eh, I wasn't the one that made the video and I think the background music is a tad bit loud.

A few of the things you couldn't read from the document he was highlighting were mechanics like "Dynamic level generation", "path node system", the win factor and very slight mentioning of the aesthetic style of the game.

There isn't any concept art because there are currently no artists working on it. I do plan on getting some turn arounds of the ship designs in there soon though.

I am currently working on the music part of the game. I do plan to do music file parsing to determine quite a few things in the game. As said in the video, when the music temp is higher the colors will be warmer and cooler at slower tempos (very hard to do considering that audio files don't hold this information it will be mostly trial and error to see what frequencies give me the best approximation to the tempo), select frequencies will determine where the path nodes are placed, and another set will determine when enemies/targets spawn.

As for the path node system, I currently have a bezier algorithm generating curves based on the nodes. I'm using a cubic bezier curve to generate a track with 33 spline sections.

Also, before I forget to mention it, the game is being made in Unity3D. All of the code is being written in C# and as of right now there are only programmers working on this project. Also noting that this is a school project, but I have high hopes for it and will hopefully publish it one day (sooner rather than later), or at least some iteration of this.

TL;DR

We appreciate your feedback and are glad you find it interesting. We do apologize for not being as descriptive as possible but please bear with us as this is a learning process for all parties involved. And lastly, the game levels will be generated on the fly by the music the user chooses from his/her own music library (will take some time to really get this part of it down) along with a few custom made songs (maybe).

GC#s
Main accounts:
-Emma Mae
-Molly V1.1
-Emily Rose
-Inara

-Cain
-Abel
-Archomito
-Starr

-Mustang
-Lt. Havoc
-LtHawkeye
-Anthrax

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:50 pm
Profile YIM
PROSPECTORS!

I'm not really in a space to watch the video (work impaired lolol), but from what I'm able to read it sounds like a decent idea if it gets implemented well. (Vague description gets vague response! I'll gladly give more feedback when more information is posted.)

As someone that at one point was an avid SHMUP player, if you're going to let people use their own music to have it dynamically generate levels, I'd say make the hitbox fairly small (and clear visually to the player) on the controlled ship. This won't really affect casual players, but it'll make more hardcore songs actually possible in the case where the song creates a bullet hell.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:41 am
Champion

I do realize that this thread is rather old...but I don't want to start a new thread and the game has changed quite a bit and there are a couple of places to get some sort of information such as http://www.basswings.net and http://www.facebook.com/basswingsarcade I do believe both need some sort of updating. The way things seem to have gone "BassWings" doesn't seem like much of a codename but more of an actual project name now.

GC#s
Main accounts:
-Emma Mae
-Molly V1.1
-Emily Rose
-Inara

-Cain
-Abel
-Archomito
-Starr

-Mustang
-Lt. Havoc