View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post your computer/desk 
Champion

Post Post your computer/desk
Post your computer, laptop, desk or whatever you play Eden on.

I'll start.

Full pink

Vaporwave, my usual colors

Keyboard

The camera in my phone does not do the box justice, the RGB fans and light strips actually put off infrared and ultraviolet light, and look wayyy better in person.

Full specs on setup (copied from the tech forums I use):

Ryzen R9 3900x PBO 4.65GHz, 1900MHz fclk | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard | 16GB G.skill Flare X @ 3800MHz 16-16-16-32-50 1T gdm on @ 1.43v | 2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 @ 2025MHz | Samsung 970 Evo | WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 4TB, Caviar Blue 6TB | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm aio | anidees AI CRYSTAL AR3 case | 7x anidees AI AUREOLA RGB 120mm fans | Acer 3440x1440 HDR400 144hz display | gmmk v2 104 key keyboard, Kailh Box Jade switches, cherry blue o-rings, custom paint with Filco sakura keycaps | Cooler Master Mastermouse RGB | Logitech z2200 speakers (200w)

If this thread proves popular, I could do another one "show your gaming setup and games collection" and put up photos of my retro games collection and CRT TV setup, as well as my setup for modern games on my OLED.

Ghost DX / HUcast / Skyly / Mag Farmer
Magz / FOmarl / Viridia / Mag Farmer
Redbot is my main.
My Tradelist
My HWBOT profile

Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:19 pm
Master

Post Re: Post your computer/desk
Hello der sir, here is my old setup in Vancouver.

notable aspects:
all light sources (including lamps) are programmed to change light temperature and brightness based on the geographic location- ceiling lights are turned off past 7pm
wallpapers change depending on time of day

notable aspects:
the keyboard is changed between mx keys or hhkb BT depending on the type of work I am doing (design or programming)
i use a fountain pen for journaling with a pilot custom 823 (not pictured)

other aspects:
cables and PC are all hidden away underneath desk, impossible to see at eye or sitting level.

Former PC specs:
dell aw3420dw 120hz monitor
32gb ram 3200mhz corsair vengeance
intel 10700k
RTX 3080 vision
msi mpg X570 gaming edge
1TB wd digital black m.2 SSD
1TB samsung 970 pro m.2 SSD
noctua d15 chromax black
nxzt h510i stealth black

(non pictured)
razer viper w/ grip tape
artisan zero medium grip mousepad
steam deck 512GB

non-mentioned:
chair: humanscale freedom (yellow knit chair)
desk: ikea oak karlby tabletop X custom black metal table legs from japan
desk stand: ergotron LX white

ji-yo
RAmar
level 19x

gc #42005906

Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:43 pm
Champion

Very nice! I really like the minimalist setup and room. Nice desk too. And cool capsule toys- I should probably post another picture including the other end of the desk since I have quite a few Gundam models on it.

I've always wanted to try a Topre keyboard, at least I assume you have Topre switches if it's a HHKB. And if it's an HHKB, do you also run Linux and use it in vim or something for coding? (Wasn't it designed for that?)

I've considered getting one of the Realforce boards as those have Topre switches but last I checked years ago, one of those was $250 and I probably can't convince the wife to pay that much for a keyboard I won't even use 100% of the time.

(I also have a modded E-Element Z-77 $40- it comes with Outemu blue switches but you can pull them out except it's REALLY hard, as holes they are in are smaller than normal. We replaced all the switches with Kailh Box White switches- the pins had to be trimmed down with a flush cutters but they fit. The board was even advertised as moddable but I wouldn't recommend it as a project as it took a ton of force to remove the Outemu Blues, but they were not soldered... I put some Doraemon stickers I got from Ebay on it so it's my Doraemon keyboard my wife and I built together. I could post pics of this too if you want to see it.)

As for my GMMK v2, the components were listed but I also used some flat metal weights I had laying around, and some of that thin modders foam that comes in a sheet and packed the rear of the case with it to add weight. I also clibbed and lubed the stabs (off-brand or reverse engineered cherry stabs) with lithium grease. As mentioned, it has Cherry Blue O-Rings and Kailh Box Jade "thicc click" switches. Some keys like space and enter have the o-rings doubled up. I left a few Gateron brown switches in it, notably in the Caps Lock button so if I'm typing and I bump it accidentally I immediately know. Additionally, the top of it has been plastidipped (The GMMK is black on top by default) with white plastidip as well as a layer of plastidip pearlizer so it is somewhat glittery. I also did white plastidip on the inside of the top plate to make the lighting diffuse/reflect better since the LEDs are in the PCB and by default, not as bright. Overall there's about $235 invested in this keyboard.

I had heard from someone on discord (Carnelian I think) that you were into keyboards- I think you'd probably like mine. Afaik Topre switches click as well.

Redbot is my main.
My Tradelist
My HWBOT profile

Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:05 am
Master

Hello, thank you der sir.,

All HHKB keyboards use Topre switches, elsewise, they aren't HHKB keyboards- lest they want only a body and no soul. These were initially developed for UNIX-type systems, these being any Linux distrubutions or MacOS systems (even modern ones still use the same UNIX Shell).

In principle, Topre switches are closest to a Brown switch, meaning tactile, however the former distingushes itself by having a "soft landing" on activation due to its convex rubber dome key structure. You'll often hear people compare the typing experience to smooth pops often in the imagery of chocolate.

That said, I'm a pseudo-lover of keyboards. I don't actively engage in those communities nor am I particularly interested in new keyboards. I initially bought the HHKB for writing articles, because the ergonomics are unmatched and the typing experience would help stave off writing block. However, I needed a numpad and multi-device support (my HHKB BT doesn't have that), so I got Logitech's MX Keys instead. The newer versions of HHKB don't have this issue (Hybrid / Hybrid Type S), though they've become too popular, and as a result, more expensive. The micro-upgrade considering my custom HHKB didn't warrant a new purchase.

Perhaps others will be interested in your keyboard collection: Ikea sells holed-partitions to display items on your wall for reasonable prices so you could display your keyboards near your desk as a multi-functional furniture piece for showcase & quick-swap on feeling demand.

To answer your question though, I use MacOS due to its near-perfect sync between iPad & Mac. Otherwise, I'd be using Linux daily. I don't use Windows anymore- I sold off my machine a while back. The Steam Deck satisfies my gaming needs while the Macbook satisfies the workhorse needs. Ty for your reply.

ji-yo
RAmar
level 19x

gc #42005906

Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:33 am
Master

Oops, the first post insinuated I was using the HHKB for programming. This isn't true. I use it for writing, and the MX Keys for programming (macro-keys & arrow-keys are everything). It's an odd decision, but one that makes sense if you've tried both of them.

ji-yo
RAmar
level 19x

gc #42005906

Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:52 am
Champion

Ah, okay, so you aren't really into building keyboards, but you did mod yours with filling and o-rings.

Also, if you would compare them to brown switches- tactile but no click- I may not be interested anymore. My GMMK has Kailh/Kaihua Box Jades, and my Doraemon keyboard has Box Whites. The keyboard on my mom's computer is a prebuilt, unmodded Rosewill board with Kailh Blues (not box) which are basically their reverse engineered Cherry MX Blues. So obviously, I love clicky switches, and the sound isn't an issue for me.

I have Windows 10 basically only for games and the rest of the time, I dual boot Linux Mint 19.3. It is set up for security/privacy as well as hardened, and also runs as a home network server (the rig has 12TB storage on 3 platters- they are hidden behind the far right side of the bottom of the case. Basically under the PSU shroud that says anidees on it.) So it streams anime and music to multiple Raspberry Pis I have running LibreElec.

MacOS, I don't know anything about or how to use modern MacOS. The last time I used it was probably in high school. Though, I have a rescued Macintosh SE from 1986 that I repaired (Dead PRAM battery- replaced with a CR2032 and it works), upgraded the RAM from 4x 256kb 150ns SIMMs to NEC 1MB 80ns SIMMs so it's memory is maxed out, and I installed something called a FloppyEmu on the front which is basically a device that allows the machine to load disk and hard disk images off a MicroSD card. It was also incredibly dusty inside. It runs System 6.0.8 and is filled with Macintosh games I grew up with. I can use vintage Macintosh well but not modern ones. ;) It also requires the use of a program called HFVExplorer (which is Windows only) as well a Mini Vmac emulator to copy software from the net into the disk images. A lot of work went into that thing. I can post a picture if you're interested, if not thats ok too.

The case of my machine has 0.8mm tempered glass on both sides as well as the front. The cables are all flat mounted because there's something like 5cm clearance behind the back of the motherboard tray and the glass.

My wife has a talent for cable management, that is what the back side looks like- minus the SSD now. Click to see a larger version. It looks rough actually but theres a fan controller in the top left with 7 fans + RGB strips + power connected, there is SATA power and data cables for 3 HDDs, there is the motherboard 24-pin connector, and so forth. To get the super-clean, mostly cable free viewable side takes hiding everything like that on the back side.

Writing... I used to write too, but non fiction. For a large forum dedicated to metaphysics. What do you write?

Also, here is a video review of my case from LTT, though to note, mine is a newer version with many improvements on the complaints in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGM37Zp6Mw4

Redbot is my main.
My Tradelist
My HWBOT profile

Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:35 am
Master

Thanks for your reply, hellsent.

Indeed, the keyboard complacency is even more strange when you think about the modded HHKB-- I actually modded it because I also used it at work in a big office. The sounds were a bit too loud, so I had to dampen them. The results are very nice, only audible to me, and the sensation helped me get through the lull of work. Nowadays, I rarely use it. If I ever upgrade again, it'll probably an MMO keyboard with 1-2 layers of macro keys. I really do need a one-click command for everything; hate wasting time opening apps and using terribly unergonomic hotkeys combination (or lack of available hotkeys because they sometimes overlap with one-another).

Modern MacOS feels like a prehistoric machine. A lot of things are outdated/somewhat broken because Apple doesn't care about fixing bugs- only pushing the next set of novelty features (that also don't really work well or already has been done but in the Apple-way) to get people to purchase the next big tech. Most of the things I do actually want are already available and better on Gnome 43 (this you should check out, if you hate Windows, want a Mac-style experience but with customisation)-- examples being streamlined multi-desktop environments that aren't a pain in the ass and a community that [usually] always wants to help you have a better user experience. That aside, the iPad to Mac synchronicity is still at the moment, unbeatable. If ever there is something similar for Linux, I'm leaving the Apple boat. MacOS has grown a substantial amount from then, but its differences are extremely weak when compared to the other OSes. Do feel free to share that image of the program though; I'm curious to see how it looked like.

I do also want to mention that, Linux has greatly upped its game compatibility thanks to Valve's push for the Steam Deck. In a few months or a year from now, I believe we'll reach about 90% compatbility from Windows to Linux games. PSO works there too- I play PSO on my Steam Deck, as I don't own a Windows PC anymore.

Linux is great for your privacy and security, I agree- though, I think the hardening may be a bit overkill. For instance, no one wants to develop malware for Linux machines, because that's placing a mark on your back VS the world of programmers. Generally, you don't want to be outed, because there is bound to be someone, or a group of people, who are better than you in every way, that will target you. Big corporation / data privacy wise, a VPN and Tor Browser does the trick. Even then, a regular browser like Firefox does the job- because it allows you to blend in easily with the masses -- see privacyguides.org for a full outline of various ways you can protect yourself (in the least headache inducing way). The most important thing is anonymity.

Interesting that you use the same PC as a NAS- hopefully you've gotten a UPS, as well as redundant storage if ever it goes down. Although... the Internet is lucky to have a wide variety of people backing up all sorts of data. I'll leave it at that.

The case looks good. I have some respect for people who take time into the cable management. For me, I plug things in- as long it works, I tug everything in the back without much concern for it. Cases should reduce the cable management for you, rather than fighting against the case with cable arrangement- hence the NZXT 510i case choice on my end. Tons of cable straps, metal clips and most important, cables already arranged for you (case-wise).

To answer your question: I do digital journaling from time to time. Elsewise, I have a YouTube channel about Linux, games, and tutorials. I use the HHKB to write out scripts and the MX Keys for editing videos later.

Since I code most of these days, the MX Keys is my daily workhorse. Out of habit, I'm also using MX Keys to write this reply. Maybe when I get back to my YouTube channel I'll pick it up again.

The case is nice- though, if I ever have to build another PC, it'll probably be a SFX/mini PC, or something with RGB lightning. The pink and blue accents on yours make me consider going that route, minus the ROG logo (such a silly brand, lol).

ji-yo
RAmar
level 19x

gc #42005906

Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:09 pm
Senior

All looks snazzy :)
Recently replaced our clunky keyboard.
Generally, if it works... It's good!
Interesting to see different setups ;)

Last edited by Tox on Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Senior

Enjoyable reading...great pics, I won't bother posting a laptop setup ha!
Yet, perfectly playable !

Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Senior

Hiiiii OsM builds der R sirrs,,

Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next