View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PSO2 Thoughts 
Champion

Post Re: PSO2 Thoughts
No One and Japanaman I agree 100% with pretty much everything you both have said.

Here's my opinions. If people don't like them, fsck off....just because I don't like something and voice my opinion is no reason to get offended because you're a tool that buys into hype. :)

Quote:
Fps lag complains.

Not an issue for me, I have a high end system...but I do get random stutter and slowdown even with the graphics on 3. I can run it maxed out with full shaders and it's 60 fps but I do get major lag spikes/slowdown issues, as well as random blurriness...something wrong with the client's AF probably.

Quote:
I'm slightly disappointed in how classes work out. It seems that all races in a class differ only aesthetically as you can change your class at any time you wish. While I might not agree with the stat placement PSO had for each character, I did like how all the classes had discernible differences between them, rares specific to class/race, and how techs weren't locked to Forces only. I don't know what they will do with "advanced" classes, or how the final release will be, but I'd prefer that there would be more differences between races than currently exists in the game. Unrelated to class differences, I wish there was more customization in terms of outfits and stuff...

THIS.

There is absolutely no reason why hunter and ranger shouldn't be able to use techs. Without them, we can't even self buff (I'm playing hunter btw). They are obviously pushing the game in more of an MMO direction with multi-party areas, expansive skill trees, lots of fetch quests on the matter board, etc. Well, if they wanna take it that way fine, I like it. However, unlike some people here I haven't just played PSO and PSU over the last 12 years. I've run servers for and run large guilds in WoW, Guild Wars, Ragnarok Online, and Lineage 2. In any of those games nearly every job has the ability to self buff and also debuff. Whatever the PSE thing is, it's similar, but it seems entirely random. Really, if they want to aim for the game to give an MMO experience they need to provide each class numerous skills, whether buffs/debuffs or nukes. Why do I even have 3 seperate rows of hotkeys if I'm level 14 and all I have hotkeyed are mates and a telepipe?

Having no techs cheapens the experience and I can kill 99% of enemies by just pressing normal attack endlessly with no cooldown. Yes, the customizable and chainable PAs are cool...for about 5 minutes. Combine this with the fact that the enemy AI is incredibly stupid and enemies will just circle around you endlessly, or try and sidestep an AoE sword swing with massive range, and the combat becomes stale incredibly fast. I can only enjoy pressing attack with no cooldown over and over, and no other debuff ability or spells for so long- especially when some MMOs have hundreds of skills per character that are situational and require cooldown knowledge and timing.

At least in PSO and PSU, you could attack 3 times before having to recover, and the enemies were balanced for that. Sometimes (on Ult) it's wiser to run in, attack twice and run out. After your combo you would often turn away to avoid a swipe from a mob (which pretty much beeline toward you and start attacking, and are much more aggresive, so it's necessary). Because of the mob balancing and health in PSO2, I do understand a battle system with this mechanic is necessary. I just feel the combat is lifeless and has no rhythm, it's a mashfest that would get you killed in the original PSO on Ultimate. Again, the enemies in PSO2 are pathetically easy and predictable..

As far as the graphics go, they look good but they're nothing impressive. I can think of numerous 5 year old titles with a futuristic look and much better graphics (Unreal Tournament 3 comes to mind). I really don't give a shit about graphics- I have a NES and Genesis hooked up in my living room and they get played more than once a week. However, the graphics in this game could've been much better. Numerous times I've stopped and noticed some extremely low resolution, pixelated garbage textures (some of the lava flowing down the walls in Caves comes to mind).

The music in this game is total garbage. I can't recall one memorable tune from the game and I've just sat here playing for 16 hours. PSO had an amazing soundtrack... lots of upbeat drum and bass and heavy synth with very catchy melodies. The Hunters Guild, Pioneer 2, Easter Pioneer 2, shop area, Forest, Ruins, Mines, Ep 4 crater ("Nostalgia in Solitude"), and Battle ("Tricktrack") were all catchy and I can hum them to this day. PSO2's music sucks in comparison, simply put. The Forest music is just generic mellow piano and violin crap with a few notes from the PSO Forest battle theme thrown in. The lobby music is terrible and certainly not inspiring.

Having to S Rank a mission with a 7 minute+ Rockbear fight at the end is unacceptable. Yes, I know how to fight the damn thing, but it has a lot of health. I did manage to S Rank it eventually and unlock Caves, but having to do a quest to unlock a new area (when you're overleveled for the area you're in) is trash.

Having a whole area be unavailable unless it's an "ohai Sugoi kawaii Emergenucy Missionu" with a fancy scrolling announcement and it's active by the whims of the Sega admins is garbage. I want to go play in the City when I damn well feel like it.

So... overall my thoughts are that PSO2 is a decent, fun game with potential. Yes, that might sound contradictory to everything I just said, but there's a lot of things I like about it (but many more I want changed). I love the world design of the lobbies, I love the character designs. I really like how units show up on your character, they add cool appeal and are a status symbol. The weapon designs are pretty good too. I REALLY like the idea of a class tree similar to WoW talent builds and Ragnarok skill builds, as this finally adds some customization to the series beyond "use X number of materials". The game is enjoyable to play, if extremely easy currently, and easy to get bored with because of a lack of weapon types and abilities.

...yeah.

Ghost DX / HUcast / Skyly / Mag Farmer
Magz / FOmarl / Viridia / Mag Farmer
Redbot is my main.
My Tradelist
My HWBOT profile

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:17 am
Champion

Apparently having a differing opinion from somebody else makes me a tool that buys into hype.

Am I not allowed to enjoy things on their own merit? :(

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:50 am
extended rech

Loli newmans, loli caseals, adjustable breast size with more realistic physics than most games (and hentais), hawt costumes, beautiful areas, nice music, beds, random area events, alien bug invasions, fun loading screens, rocket launchers, jumping, WHIP-LIKE DAGGERS, TPS mode, loli newmans and caseals, jumping, jumping, loli ne- ...

...I like PSO2.

o says (15:58):
*I've been tempted to ban a few people in the past simply because I found them annoying.
"Reason for ban: Because I can't punch you in the face."

Give a girl the right shoes and she will conquer the world.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:17 am
Champion

Mayuru wrote:
Loli newmans, loli caseals, adjustable breast size with more realistic physics than most games (and hentais), hawt costumes, beautiful areas, nice music, beds, random area events, alien bug invasions, fun loading screens, rocket launchers, jumping, WHIP-LIKE DAGGERS, TPS mode, loli newmans and caseals, jumping, jumping, loli ne- ...

...I like PSO2.

What she said. xD (or he...XD) Only thing I didn't like is that it took me til about level 14/15 to get a mag...and about 10 rockbears...>.< (S-ranked every time I did that mission <3) Also...too easy to S-Rank everything...-.-

GC#s
Main accounts:
-Emma Mae
-Molly V1.1
-Emily Rose
-Inara

-Cain
-Abel
-Archomito
-Starr

-Mustang
-Lt. Havoc
-LtHawkeye
-Anthrax

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:02 am
Profile YIM
Senior

Well I will post a thought that most should be thinking

Can't wait till PSO2 obt.

And Daniel..I didnt get my Mag till 20 so don't feel bad
I just put it off forever.

The only thing I wish there was more of is .. levels.
Wanted to mess around with the skill tree more.

~~:::End Game Goals:::~~
Dark Flow(any stats) -- L&K38 Combat(any stats)
Slicer of Fanatics(any stats)
State/Maint x1

PSO2 - Ship 2 - Miekell

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Champion

Quote:
Apparently having a differing opinion from somebody else makes me a tool that buys into hype.

Am I not allowed to enjoy things on their own merit? :(

Enjoying things on their own merit is fine.

Overall I did enjoy the game and I will probably play it when it's open beta (or English). There's a lot of things I disliked, though. And having a cash shop and having to pay to trade, have a room or have a shop is inexcusable. (also, has everyone seen how SMALL the My Rooms are? I thought they were small in PSU and smaller still in PSP2 on such a tiny screen but these are miniature).

I'm jaded when it comes to games and I grew up with an NES. 9 out of 10 games made today disappoint me because they're diluted, watered down versions of older, superior games with fancy graphics plastered on top. PSO2 is definitely not a bad game at it's core. (If anyone played Dragon Age 2 vs Dragon Age Origins you'll know what I'm getting at). It has solid combat, interesting design and some innovative concepts like emergency codes. Is it as addictive, compelling to play and inspired as PSO? Sadly not. Does it live up to the name of PSO and is it a proper sequel? With 10 more weapon types for Hunters alone, and the ability for all jobs to use techs, I'd give it that. Right now it feels shallow.

The 'tool' comment is just directed towards anyone who only sees the positive and can't think of anything negative and thinks I'm an idiot or there's something wrong with me because I don't immediately love the game 100%. I apologize if I offended anyone sensitive. I didn't say any names nor call anyone out. It was a general statement.

Redbot is my main.
My Tradelist
My HWBOT profile

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:29 am
PROSPECTORS!

For what it's worth: I grew up with my NES, too, and if you look at my stream you'll see it gets more use than any of my other systems, minus this past week.

One thing that's definitely worth taking into account is that this was a closed beta, and that there's going to be plenty of new content, including new weapon types and all that jazz.

I have a pretty high end system as well, and was streaming almost all of my adventures. I was playing at 60FPS, streaming at 30, but I also got some of those random spikes. Hopefully they figure out what exactly is causing those (pretty sure it's not my computer, because the FPS spikes tended to happen to everyone at the same time there).

I can understand the frustration towards having to buy premium to trade. Here's my argument for the other side, though: when you're playing as a particular class, you get drops that are mostly relevant to that class that nobody else can take. That alone would make me happy to not have the ability to trade. I'll hold my opinion on the premium itself until we get some actual prices, since I'm not sure what will change for the OBT/full game in terms of AC cost.

Rooms are really fun, and you actually can get more rooms to extend your place, and on top of that you can actually expand the rooms by making them bigger. Not good with moonrunes, not totally sure on the processes for each off the top of my head, but Choko's place was a good example of a nice and spacious room. (Refraining from saying "roomy room," harr.)

I personally thought the graphics were great and had no beefs with them, but then again I'm never too overly critical with graphics and hardly give a crap about them most of the time. I will very highly disagree with your opinion of the music - I feel that all of the music is environmentally fitting, with the musical references to the old PSO being a fantastic touch. Not to mention the "mission complete" theme. Dance party, anyone?

Some minor HUD changes and functionality changes I wouldn't mind seeing, but they're pretty minor. Game's really nice as is, and I'm only looking forward to what SEGA might have planned in the future.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:59 am
extended rech

I love the graphics myself, the environment is pretty stunning. More specifically, those mountains in the forest (waaaay over there on the horizon) were pretty breathtaking.

I thoroughly enjoyed the music, and I especially like what they've done with the level-up tune. XD
I also liked the part where I could jump and change breast size and make a lolicas- nvm.

Also if I still lack a job when OB gets here... S> myself one night per month for premi- nvm again.

o says (15:58):
*I've been tempted to ban a few people in the past simply because I found them annoying.
"Reason for ban: Because I can't punch you in the face."

Give a girl the right shoes and she will conquer the world.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:52 pm
Champion

Karma wrote:
For what it's worth: I grew up with my NES, too, and if you look at my stream you'll see it gets more use than any of my other systems, minus this past week.

One thing that's definitely worth taking into account is that this was a closed beta, and that there's going to be plenty of new content, including new weapon types and all that jazz.

Well, if you have a NES and use it a lot, you definitely know what the problem with a lot of today's games is: a lack of depth. Back then a game had to get by on it's gameplay alone. The graphics for all games pretty much sucked so the game had to have a very novel, addictive premise to succeed.

The original PSO had this in spades. The combat required a good degree of skill to hit and avoid being hit. The enemies are aggressive, quick and can hit very hard when you first reach a new difficulty.

I really feel that PSO2 so far lacks depth, especially in the realm of the abilities your character has. This could be remedied by allowing selective usage of techniques to classes besides force. Also, this game BEGS for a chaining system like in Phantasy Star Portable 2, where your normal attacks rack up a combo and boost photon art damage. I think the mobs are balanced for it health-wise, it would boost the playability a great deal. It really did seem like I could hit attack endlessly and win.

Quote:
I have a pretty high end system as well, and was streaming almost all of my adventures. I was playing at 60FPS, streaming at 30, but I also got some of those random spikes. Hopefully they figure out what exactly is causing those (pretty sure it's not my computer, because the FPS spikes tended to happen to everyone at the same time there).

It honestly wasn't THAT bad or that often on my part.

Quote:
I can understand the frustration towards having to buy premium to trade. Here's my argument for the other side, though: when you're playing as a particular class, you get drops that are mostly relevant to that class that nobody else can take. That alone would make me happy to not have the ability to trade. I'll hold my opinion on the premium itself until we get some actual prices, since I'm not sure what will change for the OBT/full game in terms of AC cost.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 had almost no trading. You could trade certain items up to B Ranks only. As a result, there was no player trading or economy, and everyone hacked since they couldn't trade. Obviously, this was a huge problem. If we look at games all the way back to Everquest, or even before it with things like GMUDs and text MUDs, one of the most basic and essential features to a game like this is the ability to trade. Making it pay only is not only foolish, it's wrong, and has the potential to ruin the game (i.e. encourages hackers). I'm not gonna change my view on that.

Quote:
Rooms are really fun, and you actually can get more rooms to extend your place, and on top of that you can actually expand the rooms by making them bigger. Not good with moonrunes, not totally sure on the processes for each off the top of my head, but Choko's place was a good example of a nice and spacious room. (Refraining from saying "roomy room," harr.)

I wasn't aware you could expand it beyond the basic single room. I used a room ticket on it but it just changed the appearance. Good to know, because I loved the 'my room' feature in Universe and PSP2.

Quote:
I personally thought the graphics were great and had no beefs with them, but then again I'm never too overly critical with graphics and hardly give a crap about them most of the time. I will very highly disagree with your opinion of the music - I feel that all of the music is environmentally fitting, with the musical references to the old PSO being a fantastic touch. Not to mention the "mission complete" theme. Dance party, anyone?

The graphics were adequate but nothing impressive. A few of the areas looked jagged and blocky, particularly any rock formation or wall in the forest, and a lot of the various rocks on the ground in the Caves. It seemed like there was a low poly count for some of these models. Also, the textures don't seem to be very high res. Again, they were adequate and looked good (especially the lobby and city) but not what I'd call next gen. The music in my opinion is just nowhere near as good as anything from PSO. The musical references to PSO are alright but I'd rather they throw in some references to any of the old Genesis games (which they've seemingly forgotten about completely nowadays).

Quote:
Some minor HUD changes and functionality changes I wouldn't mind seeing, but they're pretty minor. Game's really nice as is, and I'm only looking forward to what SEGA might have planned in the future.

This game would be amazing and very addictive if hunters and rangers could use techs, there were a psp2 style chaining system, and perhaps bigger lobbies/explorable cities (on the scale of WoW cities). Also, hoverboards. They promised them in PSU and didn't deliver. I want to fly around a future city with a hoverboard plox.

Quote:
I love the graphics myself, the environment is pretty stunning. More specifically, those mountains in the forest (waaaay over there on the horizon) were pretty breathtaking.

They were just high res static textures on the horizon from what I can tell. Anything in Skyrim is actually climbable and looks way better...

Redbot is my main.
My Tradelist
My HWBOT profile

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:04 pm
Senior

The one thing that seems overlooked in all this is.

It was a closed beta not the actual game.
Beta and game have known to diverge from one another.

I'm leaving at that cuz what I was gonna write down next was
a light negative comment

~~:::End Game Goals:::~~
Dark Flow(any stats) -- L&K38 Combat(any stats)
Slicer of Fanatics(any stats)
State/Maint x1

PSO2 - Ship 2 - Miekell

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next