View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PSO2 Thoughts 
King

Post PSO2 Thoughts
As alot of us have had the privilege to participate in the closed beta of Phantasy Star Online 2, I thought I'd make a thread to compile peoples thoughts on the game. The things you like, dislike and whatnot.

For me, It feels like a merging of PSU and PSO, it has traits from both games like photon arts for example, but retains PSO's classes and races (dropping all the advanced classes from PSU and the beast race too)

I like the new look for the races, newmans look cuter, casts look more badass.

I also quite like the fact the forces seem to be the only class capable of using magic, or so it seems so far, and how attacking with either swords, guns or magic has a more crazy and action packed feel to it, like its more down to your skill at dodging that'll keep you alive over powerful gear.

I don't think theres anything I particularly dislike at the moment, since I cant complain about that Japanese text as thats part of playing on a Japanese server with a Japanese client.

I hope PSO2 gets English version, but I'll probably keep playing even if it doesn't.

Fracks LVL 169
Tager LVL 114
Zoro LVL 22

GC: 42001796

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:17 am
The mother judge

Post Re: PSO2 Thoughts
I could find plenty to moan about if I was feeling critical, but I enjoyed the game overall too.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:29 am
色とりどり

I wouldn't be so sure that advanced classes were dropped... they're just not available in the very limited closed beta.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:27 am
King

Choko [Bot] wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure that advanced classes were dropped... they're just not available in the very limited closed beta.

I had a feeling that would be the case, if they are planning on bringing them back, at least make them more interesting. The fact that the "master" classes had the smallest weapon use diversity seemed weird.

Fracks LVL 169
Tager LVL 114
Zoro LVL 22

GC: 42001796

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:31 am
PROSPECTORS!

I'm sorry for neglecting you, Eden, but PSO2 is just so good. :(

...Also physics. Too strong, nerf please.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:34 pm
Senior

Karma wrote:
...Also physics. Too strong, nerf please.

What do you mean?

~~:::End Game Goals:::~~
Dark Flow(any stats) -- L&K38 Combat(any stats)
Slicer of Fanatics(any stats)
State/Maint x1

PSO2 - Ship 2 - Miekell

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
The mother judge

He means jiggle physics. He's asking Sega to nerf the female characters' breasts.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:24 pm
God

I don't see much of a problem with them :F
In other news: I demand Sega add knuckle type weapons to the Open beta!

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:06 pm
God

Complaint department.

Fps lag complains.

Getting rid of this stuff will allow more pc's to run the game smoothly and possibly bring in more paying customers.

PSO2 needs an option to turn off in battle character npc movies. This currently does nothing but eat ram, cause fps lag on lower end pc's, and has absolute no impact on the game play experience. It is also generally annoying. Perhaps if it was implemented differently using real movies and not just grabbing the models from in game and on the fly rendering them each time it may work smoother.

The flashing overlay to let you know emergency codes starting and stooping this also needs to be disabled for the above reason eats ram causes fps lag on lower end pc's. The simple dynasty warriors text messages that appear anyways after the code has started and ended will suffice just fine.

Another thing that neds to go is the tall grass in the forest. I know it is intended to slow you down when walking through it but since each blade has it's own model it really adds to the load your pc has to deal with causing more then intended lag if this was changed to a few well placed textures instead of using models it would be tons better.

Could also do with lower end texture on the fire shooting up in caves as this also lags when near it.

-----

Cash shop complaints.

Ok now trading is a large part of any online game however pso2 locks you from trading anything in anyway unless you are a paying user. In my option (even though I wont be a paying consumer) this is a step in the wrong direction. Every other modern f2p mmorpg I have played at least still allows their 1:1 trading, trading through their mail system, and at least some free inventory spaces in the players run in game shop before charging a premium for more spaces to sell more things in their player run shop. So Sega is calling this a radical new way to generate income for the game by locking trading completely, well guess what it is not. it is just wrong, and I can only hope that this does not apply to the final game.

I would also change it so new skill trees and extra mags can be bought with fun instead of through the cash shop.

-----

Battle complaints.

Ok I am not sure if it is just due to the lack of 40% attack speed boost but pso2 hunters seems much slower in terms of combat.

-----

Control complaints.

Center camera needs it's own button that is not associated with targeting.

Autorun should let you be be able to move left and right while still auto running it currently stops movement if the left or right direction is pressed.

Could not assign main action keys to the arrow keys or numpad.

Numpad could not be used to hotkey spells again.

-----

Interface complaints.

Add option to quick menu (F9) in the main menu.

Sorting order for client orders does not work properly.

Needs Larger mini map (full area) and more noticeable player arrows on it.

Allow current pse effect(s) to be shown when the mini map (full area) is displayed and not just when the close to your potion map is displayed.

-----

Lobby complaints.

Can not sit in the chairs provided in the lobby properly.

-----

Loading screen complaints.

Loading screens do not need to be animated as much. Just a black screen with the games logo and where you are headed should dramatically reduce loading time when heading to new areas.

Dr. Frasier Crane wrote:
"Lazy-guy. I wonder what they call the deluxe model? The hopeless slack-ass?"

Last edited by japanaman2 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:27 pm
Nobody did what? T.T

To be honest, there are many core structural differences between PSO1 and PSO2 that it's really hard to compare them in the same league. We're talking about more than ten years of differences between the two games, including improvements in graphics and hardware that can be used to play the game. Let's be real - a modern game requires hardware that isn't outdated. It isn't necessary to have a top-end machine, but you can't expect to have perfect gameplay with minimum system specs (or not even that), even on the lowest settings.

I will give some walls of text expressing my thoughts, if anyone cares to read. While I could write a giant list of things I don't like, they're relatively trivial and don't take too much enjoyment out of the game itself. My overall factor is "do I enjoy the game," and my conclusion is "yes, I do."

First of all, I give kudos for pseudo-randomly generated areas that are placed together. It doesn't appear entirely random - more structured around multiple, large landscape features, but everything fits together. This entirely beats PSO in the sense that each game will be, more or less, different. I find myself relying more on a world map than using a set of "oh, this variation of an area, let's go here." Albeit, I haven't played PSO2 for around ten years, but the fact that the variations aren't out of a preset six or less allows for a larger variety of gameplay.

I give Sega a nod for not forgetting PSO in their design of the game. It's obvious that there is an influence from the original PSO, and likely some of it wasn't visible in the beta. It would be impossible for them to recreate another PSO1, given the evolution of the PS series ever since PSO, but I am not expecting them to rehash PSO into another game. The core elements that I enjoyed about PSO - hunting, teamwork, rare items, and the hilarious mishaps - all exist here.

I'm slightly disappointed in how classes work out. It seems that all races in a class differ only aesthetically as you can change your class at any time you wish. While I might not agree with the stat placement PSO had for each character, I did like how all the classes had discernible differences between them, rares specific to class/race, and how techs weren't locked to Forces only. I don't know what they will do with "advanced" classes, or how the final release will be, but I'd prefer that there would be more differences between races than currently exists in the game. Unrelated to class differences, I wish there was more customization in terms of outfits and stuff...

Now, on to server/client mechanics. I love how all drops are client-sided; this eliminates the need for people to "fight" over any given drop, and gives more chances for drops in an individual game. This, combined with how experience is now given out (location instead of tag-based), ultimately would lead to more player interaction, less solo hunts (no drop ninjas), and increase the sense of community

I'm quite happy with PSO2. There are some things I don't like about certain elements, but I'm not going to nitpick everything and make the parts I dislike take away from what I do like. It's not perfect, but PSO (or any game, for that instance) is far from perfect as well, and I feel that PSO2 has quite a few improvements over PSO.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next