View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
SOPA. Spread the word, this blows. 
PROSPECTORS!

Post SOPA. Spread the word, this blows.
I don't like to get too political, but this bill is a pretty big deal.

If it passes, it could be detrimental to the internet, even for you non-USA folks.

I'm not going to go into too great of detail, but this bill is dumb. The government essentially wants to censor anything anyone ever feels is "infringing on copyright" or "harmful."

Here's a summary from OpenCongress:
This bill would establish a system for taking down websites that the Justice Department determines to be dedicated to copyright infringment. The DoJ or the copyright owner would be able to commence a legal action against any site they deem to have "only limited purpose or use other than infringement," and the DoJ would be allowed to demand that search engines, social networking sites and domain name services block access to the targeted site. It would also make unauthorized web streaming of copyrighted content a felony with a possible penalty up to five years in prison. This bill combines two separate Senate bills -- S.968 and S.978 -- into one big House bill.

And to further your understanding, here's SOPA for dummies.

Paul Tassi explains the big issue pretty well:
"The fine print of the law says sites that distribute copyrighted content could be subject to summary censorship, ie Torrent sites and the like. But it also encompasses any sites that LINK to copyrighted content, which is the bomb that blows up any semblance of sense this bill might have had."

If you'd like to read the full bill, you can check out http://www.keepthewebopen.com

If you live in the United States, PLEASE find some way to contact your congress members.
https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Regardless of what you do, spread the word. As gamers, this bill is entirely against our interests and doesn't even help the companies that are pouring money into the pockets of our congress members.

I've been watching the hearing over the past two days, and it's clear that only four people know what they are talking about. The problem has been barely advertised to the public, and when it has been, it gets way oversimplified. Ads running state that "online piracy is bad and is taking our jobs away, so you should vote for SOPA."

The worst part is that, at least in the committee, it seems like 1/3 are against the bill, 2/3 are for it.

EDIT: the meeting was originally adjourned until next year, but Hollywood and the big media jerks are pushing to get it passed; we now only have until next Wednesday to drill into the heads of our congress members that they need to vote against it.

...And because it's necessary:

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:22 pm
Local GM

Post Re: SOPA. Spread the word, this blows.
If this gets passed there will be riots everywhere. IF it passes it won't stay for long. We need to take those dipshits out of congress honestly. The government is so corrupted now. >_>

But it faded and I could see - Being with you was all just a dream "

Girls Dead Monster #1 Fan!

Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:21 pm
Champion

Has Anonymous pronounced themselves about this?

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Champion

I've heard all about this and I think it is the stupidest thing we can ever do. The internet is what connects us, whether good or bad it is mostly good.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:05 pm
Local GM

zeank wrote:
Has Anonymous pronounced themselves about this?

I believe a shitstorm will appear from this.

But it faded and I could see - Being with you was all just a dream "

Girls Dead Monster #1 Fan!

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:22 pm
extended rech

Inc shitstorm.

o says (15:58):
*I've been tempted to ban a few people in the past simply because I found them annoying.
"Reason for ban: Because I can't punch you in the face."

Give a girl the right shoes and she will conquer the world.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:45 am
PROSPECTORS!

Post this on your Facebooks, Twitters, whatever. Get the message out there, this is serious.

Also, anyone else have their high schools crack down on cell phone use? Clearly didn't happen with our congress members.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:15 pm
Senior

We shall call it.... the intertopia.

Edit:Just going to leave this here.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:38 pm
Master

Hmmm people of all media are aware of the impact Youtube and Facebook have over people buying things right? I know when it comes to movies, video games, and any other now expensive forms of media, I check it out on Youtube. I watch trailers, see previews and if available watch video reviews or the First Level of a game. If I'm reading this right, many of the ways users of media contact each other connect, and even attract attention will be cut down. I understand the whole 'ant piracy' thing.. However for this to pass would cost those very companies millions of Dollars. Hell youtube, face book, and google are included in ADEVRTISING for games. Sopa would kill them, and many great products would never be bought, since no one can find any real reviews of stuff.
Then you have sites like this, who take and build on older games that where canceled. People so dedicated to an amazing game that not only did they find a way to HOST a game, but ways to make it EVEN better. It's thanks to the internet and such that im still able to ind and play many of my older obscure fave games ^_^. Emulators are awesome.

Im aware this is a VERY late response, but I decided to post in it anyway. This is a VERY seriouse problem, and id rather take the lumps and put n my 5-15 cents than not say anything at all. Specially since none of ya pointed out the whole Youtube Angle..

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:49 pm
King

You can always hard reset it

Or that's what sega says

http://kotaku.com/5875431/sega-customer ... ke-on-sopa

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next