View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
I think I may be stressing out too much... 
Local GM

Post I think I may be stressing out too much...
I've been going through a lot more stress lately than I realize. Yesterday is when I found out how much stress I am under.

I was sitting in my Italian class, just waitin for the teacher to walk in. I had a lot on my mind. Mostly some minor pain I am having under my left shoulder which I am always connecting to heart conditions that I have no other symtoms to. There is a history of Heart Attacks in my family around 50ish. I'm 18, I know a Heart Attack for me is very, very unlikely. Nor is the pain on my heart.

I've been falling behind in some of my classes in College. Mostly my English. It is a bunch of pointless reading assignments that he doesn't discuss anyway. I'm sitting there thinking I'm going to be getting 0's on assignments. So I sit there and throw myself into a great bi ball of stress all for nothing.

Well, yesterday sitting in class, I tried to look up more symptoms for my shoulder pain right below my left shoulder only to see Heart Attack, Heart Attack, ect. Soon I became very dizzy, and felt like I was goin to pass out. So I get up and walk out of the class. I'm walking the halls texting my mom to pick me up. 5 minutes later she picks me up. Instead of me feeling as if I am going to pass out, I was very alert. I paid attention to every detail. I could even tell you the exact cars that were passing us. My heart racing and my head foggy, I went to my house. My mom was trying to tell me to calm down and I was having an anxiety/panic attack.

I was hyperventilating and my arms were going numb. I could hardly focus. My blood Pressure was slightly elevated and my Heartbeats per Minute was above 120, which is highly above normal for me. Around 20 minutes later after me sitting there relaxing, I finally was returning to normal. It had to be one of the worst experiences I have had. It has driven me to lead a more healthier lifestyle. It may have been a sign to tell me to straighten my act. I need to try and lower the stress I'm going through. The stress could be why I have shoulder pain, or why some days I feel like shit.

Thoughts?

But it faded and I could see - Being with you was all just a dream "

Girls Dead Monster #1 Fan!

Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:40 am
Champion

Post Re: I think I may be stressing out too much...
If you drink coffee, I'd recommend you stop.

if not well a day in a spa could help you relax.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:14 am
PROSPECTORS!

Gab: Good thoughts. Excessive coffee drinking can be pretty bad for you. Not to mention expensive. :P

I would kill for a day at the spa...

I only vaguely remember this from high school level health (not even college health; useless) class, but... If I recall correctly, there are some internal organ issues that can cause pain under your left shoulder. Might want to consult a medical expert.

In terms of college, your mother's right. Relaxing will help you a lot. Find a healthy escape. Yes, you need to be able to work and be productive, but when things get to be too much, you need something you can fall back on and feel better about. Whether it's a game, show, or other hobby, having something like that REALLY helps.
My third term freshman year was pretty rough with personal/social issues until I found something that made me feel way better and made some really cool friends, as well as renewing interest in old friendships.

Somewhat generic advice I've received for college in general:
You put "Student" as your occupation because that's your 8-to-5 job. Your classes might not last long, but if you really want to get the most out of your classes, plan to put your 8 hours in.

For every hour you're in class, expect to spend two out of class. (Obviously this varies depending on the class and would be preposterous for some classes.)

"Don't procrastinate, marinate!" A little cheesy, but it makes sense. If you're putting off working on something, at the very least think about how you're going to work on it from time to time.

Find a club that interests you. You'll make some good friends and possibly get some insight on what you want to do in the future.

Spend time with your profs. At least over here at OSU, the profs get excited when someone comes to see them during their office hours because nobody really ever wants to. You can discuss things much better with your prof in a private one-on-one conversation, and develop a much better understanding. Plus, it improves their views on you which REALLY helps you out overall. I can actually verify this helps a lot: I was doing terrible in my last term of stats because I was slacking off studying and never understood the specifics of things until a week after I needed to know them. I ended up having to withdraw from the class, but I made good friends with the prof, so I know he'll be up for helping me when I retake it in a couple of years. (Wasn't hard, just too much math at once, hah.)

On a related note, find what kind of classes you feel comfortable taking. Can you take two math classes at once and not feel overwhelmed? More power to you. Can you take three "technical" classes at once and not need to have half your classes be filler? Nice. If not, try to work your schedule around that.

Time management: it's an amazing skill. I can't really give good advice on it because I'm terrible at it, though. ^^;

Treat freshman year as your "I need to learn how things work here" year.

Oh, and resist the urge to skip. It gets worse as you go on through the year. Just... resist it. Even if the class is useless, you're paying for it, you might as well go.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:36 am
Champion

When I'm stressed, usually I realize it´s me wanting to be stressed so I stop focusing on the boredom of my life, if that's the case for you, I tell try to understend why i'm looking for something like that and the try to convince me that I do not want such thing, but rather to be well. Actually it works very few times, but again, if that's the case, I don't think a different approach would work.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Master

Moan moan moan lol you guys dont even know what stress is... Leave it another 20 years then come back and re-evaluate the situation LOL

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:31 am
Profile YIM
Champion

The only question I have is why do you post your emotions on here when they don't matter. I think you are taking things too seriously. Just take your time and enjoy youself man! Life is beautiful. :roll:

Last edited by Vent on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:57 am
Master

Well said, Vent !

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:05 am
Profile YIM
PROSPECTORS!

jaywhite1972 wrote:
Moan moan moan lol you guys dont even know what stress is... Leave it another 20 years then come back and re-evaluate the situation LOL

That's not the point, Jay. In general, it's pretty easy to get stressed out your first year at college. Instead of being useless and laughing at others, you could've said what Vent said and just told him to relax.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:33 am
Lord

Jay's argument was great... There are worse cases of stress, so this doesn't mean anything!

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:44 am
Rookie

Many people experience different kinds of stress-related symptoms, and it happens a lot to college students (I am 22, finishing college soon). My symptom is that I get sharp pains in my chest close to my heart, which used to trick my mind into thinking heart attack even when nothing was wrong, which in turn would induce a mild to fairly moderate panic attack.

After talking more with my dad about it (who is a science educator by profession) said that he has experienced similar issues. He said sometimes the "intercostals" or muscles between the ribs can inadvertently twitch, and cause sharp pain like I was describing. He told me it could be stress related, to get more sleep, don't drink alcohol after 10pm if you can avoid it, and also informed me that smoking can exacerbate it, but is not the root cause of the problem.

Do you smoke? I have also read somewhere about pains in the back of the shoulder can be related to smoking, but since I can't verify or prove my source on that, take it as you will.

Hopefully this helps...go get some sleep, and try to relax. It's not a heart attack, just keep trying to tell your mind that so it doesn't freak out.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next