View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
What video card would you recommend for a 450w PSU? 
Senior

Post What video card would you recommend for a 450w PSU?
My power supply is a cheapo "Power Up!" 450w with 24 amps on a single +12 volt rail.

I was originally going to run with my old 7300 GT, but then I realized my new motherboard does not have an AGP bus slot, and with what I have in mind, I thought this was the perfect time to get a more powerful video card.
However, I bought the PSU before my revelation, and now I have to make do with it for at least a few years.

I considered to buy a 8600 GT, but I did some research and it seems way too low-spec, so I decided to go for the 8800GT, which is a decent card.
But then I did some more research and found out that the 8800GT power requirement findings seem to fluctuate between 22 and 26 amps, so if I install such a cat-I mean card, in theory, my power supply should fail.

Now the thing is, people with brand name power supplies such as Enermax, Antec and Corsair seem to have no problem with this, and some people say that even though the card may work under my specs, it would put a load on the psu, and it would fail fairly quickly.

My psu is apparently a generic model, and I want to know if anyone can help me and recommend any video card that would not stress out my psu, but still perform decently i.e something that could play S4 very well on medium settings. This video card would have to fit in a PCI express x16 slot.

P.S would the 8800 GT put pressure on my +12v rail? I keep getting either or on the subject, so I don't know.
My future PC's specs will be

2.8 Ghz dual core AMD Athlon X2 Black Edition
2 GB DDR2 RAM single stick
Some SATA hard drive (since my new mb doesn't have an IDE slot)

Thank you.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:19 pm
King

Post Re: What video card would you recommend for a 450w PSU?
AMD says you're ok with a 400w PSU using a 5670 http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/ ... iew.aspx#3

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 pm
Senior

Post Re: What video card would you recommend for a 450w PSU?
Thanks raven.
That card seems to have positive reviews across the border on the internet, and it seems it won't put too much stress on my PSU.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]